Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Funeral

I attended two funerals lately. Both "deceased" were strong Christians. One funeral, the preacher stressed what an interesting and diverse life this 105-year-old woman lived. The second funeral stressed that although she died young (40 years) she will be missed by many.

The first funeral, the pastor didn't want to explain the gospel. The second funeral stressed the impact this woman had other people. Neither funeral preached the Gospel directly. I understand their reticence. It was a time of mourning.

However, at my funeral, I encourage any speaker at my funeral, please stress this is a man who loves God and here is how you can enter into a relationship with God. Please explain the gospel carefully. So at least in death, I can still reach my loved ones and may accomplish what I did so poorly in life: share the gospel. If people get angry with you, feel free to share this note with them.

No comments: