Monday, August 31, 2009

Mom

My mother was just sent to a hospice. For the lack of a better spot, here are some fond memories.

1. Mom was always there for us. She volunteered as a den leader for Cub Scouts. She always attended all the band events and Scouting events.
2. Mom loved garage sales. She always noticed a garage sale sign when she was driving or riding in a car. Early in my marriage, my wife and I were visiting my parents. She had cataracts at that time so she couldn't see very well. We were on I-29 headed into Council Bluffs. We had to be going at least 55 mph. Mom suddenly said, "Ooh! there is a garage sale!" She may not have been able to identify me from 20 feet a way, but a garage sale she could spot from miles away.
3. Mom was proper in front of the children. She never swore and was embarassed when other people used crude language. My brother and I were about 10 years-old I think. We were asking the visiting farm expert, grandma, what the things were that hung down from the utter. My grandma said 'Teats,' which in southwestern Iowan sounded like 'Tits.' Mom said, "oh mom!" We started laughing. Grandma, "Now, Janet what else do you call them?" Mom was a little discouraged.
4. One of mom's favorite stories was how she would sometimes ride a horse to school. I always thought that was cool.
5. Mom was always a fan of basketball. She played 6-player basketball when she was in high school. I think she said she was a good passer and shot the long shot. One of my mom's biggest disappoints is that none of her children were in organized sports like basketball.
6. Mom and dad danced together, they played cards together. They got along incredibly well. Their favorite song to dance to was "Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown." by Jim Croce.
7. Mom had an incredible social intelligence before her alzheimers. Grandma and she would talk about who was related to who. Dad and mom used to talk about her relations too. I carpooled with a guy, Ron Goshorn from Shelby. Over the years we talked. Since Underwood is close to Shelby, we found out that Ron's dad and uncle worked for my grandma. Later on, I found Ron was related to Jack Hester. My mom said, "oh yes." She then identified how Ron and I were related to each other. Something like second cousins through a marriage.

No comments: