Monday, November 21, 2011

Herman Witsius and Baby Dedications

I was browsing a book by Herman Wits (or Witsius). He was a 17th century Dutch theologian. I found in the introduction that the publishers inserted a brief biography of Wits's life. Two passages about his parents came to mind when I was watching the baby dedications at church yesterday.
The parents of our Witsius, having vowed to devote a child to the ministry, did Upon the birth of this son, call him after his grandfather, praying, that in Herman the grandson, might be revived the spirit of the grandfather; and that, endued with equal, if not superior talents, he might imitate his example.
The grandfather was a famous preacher and theologian at that time. Here's the second quote:
The care which these pious parents took of young Witsius during his tender infancy, was not intermitted as he began to grow; for, being still mindful of their vow, they brought him up in a very pious manner, instructing him in the principles and precepts of religion and Christian piety.
I used to dream when my boys were young and it was obvious they both were much smarter than I, that they would go into physics or engineering. When they were older, I thought IT would be a good field for them. I did not even dream, let alone pray, that they should go into theology so they can serve in the ministry and further God's kingdom.

Another thought, are we as parents and our church as a whole as concerned about our children's spiritual growth as Wits's parents were about their child?

No comments: