Saturday, September 20, 2014

Menno Simmons and Haiti

I am reading a short biography of Anabaptist reformer, Menno Simmons. The following quote is taken from Theology of the Reformers . Not only do I like the stress of how Menno preached both Law and Gospel, but I can see how this applies to our Haiti ministry.
Timothy George
The primary importance of the Bible in Menno's theology is its crucial role in the process of conversion. Drawing on the analogy of the Word to the seed in Jesus' parable of the Sower (Luke 8:11), Menno likened the Scriptures to a spiritual seed from which the new life springs forth. The Holy Spirit germinates the seed and brings forth its fruit in faith and repentance. Menno someties used the distinction between law and gospel to show the various ways the seed of the Word brings about regeneration. The function of the law is to produce the knowledge and conviction of sin, while that of the gospel is to present the remedy of salvation through Jesus Christ. In the early days of the Anabaptist movement, the preaching more often than the reading of the Word yielded this result. "So also where the gospel is preached in true zeal, so that it penetrates the hearts of the listeners, there one finds a converted, changed and new mind." Many of those who heard and responded to the Anabaptist message were poor farmers, unskilled workers, and displaced persons. Often they were completely or almost illiterate. Yet, once converted, they began to "hide the Word in their hearts." When hailed before the civil authorities, these unlearned believers would frequently confound their judges by their ability to quote and reason from the Scriptures.(p. 287)
If there is an apt description of the Haitian people, it has to be "poor farmers, unskilled workers, and displaced persons." We have given the Haitian people bibles, but what is a couple of hundred bibles compared to the tens of thousands of Haitians living in Luly, Williamson and surrounding areas? Some of these people can read and some can not. I am giving a talk this time to some of the Haitian men who are being discipled by their Pastors to be future leaders. I feel inadequate as a speaker here in Iowa, let alone in a cross cultural context. I have no idea how to tailor my message to the audience. However, my responsibility in Haiti at this time is spelled out in 2 Timothy 4:2
preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.
I will do my best to explain the Gospel clearly to my audience. It is up the Holy Spirit to clarify the message and convict them. It is up to my audience to "hide the Word in their hearts." Please pray for my time down there that God will help me prepare my heart and my message. Please pray that God will open my audience's hearts for His Word.

No comments: