Sunday, November 23, 2014

GCLI Book 3: Studying the Scripture

In the GCLI (Great Commission Leadership Institute), Book III: Studying the Scriptures on page 195, the author asked a question that a young leader may ask, "How much time should you spend studying the Word?" The author proceeded to answer the question by providing advice in very practical ways: he gave a set of key questions for the readers to ask themselves. For example, "Can you defend your church/GCC statement of faith?", "What is the nature of your ministry?", "What is expected of you from your culture?", "What is the best use of your time?", and "What phase of your ministry-life are you in now?".

This section seemed misguided to me.  As I thought about the topic, a more biblical approach suggested itself. I propose that the following questions might be better to ask a young leader.

As a young man, how can I keep my way pure?
How can a young man keep his way pure?
    By guarding it according to your word.
With my whole heart I seek you;
    let me not wander from your commandments!
I have stored up your word in my heart,
    that I might not sin against you.
(Psalm 119:9-11 ESV)

How often should I speak of the Word and meditate upon it?
Deuteronomy 6:4-9
“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
Deuteronomy 11:18-20
“You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall teach them to your children, talking of them when you are sitting in your house, and when you are walking by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates,
Joshua 1:8-9
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”
Psalm 119:48
I will lift up my hands toward your commandments, which I love,
        and I will meditate on your statutes.
Psalm 119:97
Oh how I love your law!
       It is my meditation all the day.
Psalm 119:148
My eyes are awake before the watches of the night,
        that I may meditate on your promise.
If I should not live by bread alone, how should I then live?
Matthew 4:4
But he answered,
“It is written,
“‘Man shall not live by bread alone,
       but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
How should I learn more about Jesus, the author and perfecter of my faith?
Luke 24:25-27
And he [Jesus] said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?” And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.
John 5:38-39
and you do not have his word abiding in you, for you do not believe the one whom he has sent. You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me,
How should I handle the Word?
2 Timothy 2:15-16 ESV
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness,
How should I continue and grow in my faith?
2 Timothy 3:14-17
But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
1 Peter 2:2-3
Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation—if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.
As a young pastor, in what should I instruct other believers?
Titus 1:9
He [an elder] must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.
2 Timothy 2:2-3
and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus.

No comments: